Question Huge bean plant self seeded what is it?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Does anyone know what type of bean this could be? It self-seeded in our vegetable garden and now it's taking over the yard!

It did produce a few initial pods and seeds but since it has taken off the plant has not produced anything except for growth. The bean pod looked kind of flat (a bit like a snow pea) and was not easily broken and the seeds were light brown, kidney shaped, but smaller than a standard climbing bean (maybe half the size).

If anyone can have a guess what it might be and if it is edible I'd be thankful :)

massive bean plant taking over my garden.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
whatever it is.. it looks very healthy !
Yeah it's growing like a champion if only some of my other vegetables could grow this well in the middle of summer :rolleyes:

My mother wasn't sure what it was - she thinks it might be a weed... I should probably chop it out before it takes over the property :D But I thought I would ask if anyone knew what it was first before I made compost out of it. I'd hate to kill a perfectly good bean plant.

I heard there is a particular variety of subtropical bean which the seeds are poisonous but the tuber is edible and it's grown for the tuber only - I wonder if this might be it? :dunno:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe google/research edible weeds?

I saw something about people making coffee from Dandelion roots, I thought that sounded interesting but I removed all mine from the lawn six months ago :oops:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe google/research edible weeds?

I saw something about people making coffee from Dandelion roots, I thought that sounded interesting but I removed all mine from the lawn six months ago :oops:
Coffee from dandelion roots sounds awful :vomit:

I'll keep looking cheers - probably rip it out...

armysnail

Premium Member
Sorry I can't tell from the photo. Could you get a close up of the flower? There is a common weed called Kudzu that has pinky/purple scented flowers in a spike. It produces pods with seeds that stick to your clothes if you brush against it ( hence I call it sticky weed). I can grow 30 cms a day. If that's it, dig it out and make sure you kill by bagging it and leaving it in the sun for a few days.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sorry I can't tell from the photo. Could you get a close up of the flower? There is a common weed called Kudzu that has pinky/purple scented flowers in a spike. It produces pods with seeds that stick to your clothes if you brush against it ( hence I call it sticky weed). I can grow 30 cms a day. If that's it, dig it out and make sure you kill by bagging it and leaving it in the sun for a few days.
No flowers lately, but when in it's first few months it did produce several pods which looked like mini Madagascar beans - they weren't sticky though... I wish I would have taken a photo of the pods and seeds :rolleyes:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I still don't know what the name of the bean like plant was but it was evident that it was going to take over my whole vegetable garden and then my property if I didn't yank it out quick smart! It seemed to grow a few feet daily and there wasn't any sign of beans or flowering.

The plant itself wasn't spiky or too much of a problem to remove - it just took awhile. When I got to the root system I could see it looked like a typical bean root only humongous but it certainly did not have a tuber. I thought it might be one of those bean plants which produce a large edible tuber but as it turns out it was just a massive weed which seed was probably dropped by a bird into my garden.

Anyway, it gave me a lot of material for my compost heap so it won't go to waste .

weed bean plant pulled out.jpg

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Could it be a Beach Bean? Canavalia Rosea? Pink/mauve flowers and brown seeds??

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Could it be a Beach Bean? Canavalia Rosea? Pink/mauve flowers and brown seeds??
Yes brown seeds! Kidney shape. Not sure about the flowers... The been pod is the same but the leaves are quite different to the Beach Bean. It's close - maybe related?

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
I have mine just out the ground, and today I have been checking out the difference between them and my other varieties, so it was fresh in my mind. Yeah if it was, they are edible(beans) but not the pods. Also, the leaves/seeds/flowers are used as a marijuana substitute! You composted it, when you could have sold it legally to the local desperados...:hysterical:
Canavalia ensiformis(?) is also another similar one, but bigger pods. All plants vary somewhat wherever they are grown. Natives are especially adept at this.
Had one of the kids bought any of the seeds home, the last trip to the beach? Without the constant salt-spray and soil-salt, they no-doubt would look a bit different. Lighter green, less shine.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom