Hi from SA

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all, first up Im from Sth Aust, and not Tassie although my heart still calls Tassie home........its complicated.
Our home veggie garden is vased on "The Patch" Hobart Botanical Gardens where Peter Cundall gardened on ABC's Gardening Aust for years. 4 beds rotated and from them we grow all our veg. Theres only the 2 of us but we dont buy any veggies at all. Ive joined because Im always interested to see how others do stuff and whether I can learn about new techniques for different veg.

Renee Shields

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello

I’m just starting out and working out how to do my garden. I have three raised garden beds to be installed and it is nice to hear that you have four garden beds and don’t need to buy veggies! That is great. You must get plenty of produce from them. I look forward to seeing more on your garden.

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Renee, thanks for your response. I have been growing now for about 12 years. A couple in Tassie before we came back to the mainland and the last 10yrs here in Kadina SA. What destroyed my garden this year was the incredible heat. So next year im going to erect a shade cloth over the beds so the heat doesnt cook the veggies.
Ill have to see how it goes. What I have learned is that gardening is always a learning process. If veggies are too precious, I dont grow em. Easy is king. I do the same with our colour garden, and elected to grow roses. We have about 60 around our house block.
Oh, btw, my beds measure 4mx2m.

Attachments

• 20181020_110157.jpg
    20181020_110157.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 271

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi there Daz (& partner!) & welcome.

I'm really interested to know how well the 4bed rotation is going for you.
I made a post back a while about the ABC gardening 4&6 bed rotation gardens.

https://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/crop-rotation-fertilization.1396/

We would certainly appreciate if you could please bring us up to date on your beds? What you plant with and after what. Whether you have made any changes to the rotation schedule to suit your climate and water supply.
Could you put that info in the thread I have linked to above so people can get a complete picture of how the 4 bed rotation will work for them?
It would be excellent to see how it works in reality in someones backyard.
Oh and photos...pleazzzzzz!!!? :pic::D:p

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there Daz (& partner!) & welcome.

I'm really interested to know how well the 4bed rotation is going for you.
I made a post back a while about the ABC gardening 4&6 bed rotation gardens.

https://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/crop-rotation-fertilization.1396/

We would certainly appreciate if you could please bring us up to date on your beds? What you plant with and after what. Whether you have made any changes to the rotation schedule to suit your climate and water supply.
Could you put that info in the thread I have linked to above so people can get a complete picture of how the 4 bed rotation will work for them?
It would be excellent to see how it works in reality in someones backyard.
Oh and photos...pleazzzzzz!!!? :pic::D:p

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I havent really documented the movement of the crops at all. All I can say is that Im always rotating the sowings and of the tomatoes, the pumpkin, spuds, strawberries, and silverbeet. Ive moved the strawberries twice in about 6yrs. The tomatoes get moved each year, as does the spuds, the pumpkin and the potato onions.
This year is the first year for antichokes and they are doing extremely well and the sweet potato slips are coming on nicely.
At this present moment I have rested the plot that the strawberries were in as the soil needs to be rejuvinated. I try to replenish the beds with composted cow manure, horse manure, mushroom compost and pelletted chicken manure.
I hope all that helps.

Last edited:

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The plantings in each of the plots. The onions were just pulled.

Attachments

• 20181020_110142.jpg
    20181020_110142.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 20181020_110130.jpg
    20181020_110130.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 20181020_110157.jpg
    20181020_110157.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 20181020_102048.jpg
    20181020_102048.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 264

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'd still like to see these posts you just made along with the photos added to that thread so people can see how you did it and how it is obviously working so well for you.

Tassie Daz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'd still like to see these posts you just made along with the photos added to that thread so people can see how you did it and how it is obviously working so well for you.
Thanks for joining SSC @Tassie Daz

You've just pulled your onions and here we're going to start sowing onion seed soon!

That's a good system you have going lots of nice produce :)
Thanks for joining SSC @Tassie Daz

You've just pulled your onions and here we're going to start sowing onion seed soon!

That's a good system you have going lots of nice produce :)
Hi mate, how time flies. That comment is a little misleading. The potato onions are planted in March and I reckon I pulled them well before Christmas. And thats the photo that illustrated the amount abd size of them......sorry for the confusion.
My garden grows for 2 of us so when we need something ( the freezer is out of a particular veg) thats what I grow them.
To be clear I dont grow for 3 months each year when we are away in our van, and because of the heat in summer, i dont compete with it and waste water. Its really just trying to work within the realms of our climate, that is brutal in Summer.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Its really just trying to work within the realms of our climate, that is brutal in Summer.
Yep, that's smart alright! No point in wasting resources for little gain.

Top Bottom