Hi from Collie WA

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am a 50 something and live in the hills in the south west of WA, I have always been what I might call a bit of a tinkerer in the garden and have tried growing fruit and veges here with limited success because of various problems with soil fertility or bugs etc.
This last year however I had a bit of a cleanup out the back and had an old bathtub that I couldn't get rid of, so while cleaning up I decided to make use of it and grow something in it. I filled it with soil and some compost (all bought) and grew... wait for it ..... A ton of cauliflower in it. Well I grew some, but the point is I actually got some quality produce from it. So that was when the penny dropped and container gardening was for me.
Fast forward to just before easter and I end up in hospital getting my appendix taken out.
That is where the recovery, for a very active person, was doing nothing for weeks. And well I stumbled upon Self sufficient me on you tube.
I have pretty much watched every episode now and enjoy them immensely.
I have now built 2 large raised garden beds and employed the hugelkultur method with both and am now growing lettuce, beetroot and celery in one with many seeds planted and waiting to transplant. I have already got cauliflower and broccoli in my bath :)
Anyway, I have ordered some different seeds online that I will be trying out come spring and am always interested in the different type of plants that I see and am itching to try some out, although I still don't think i am going to try okra, I am not sure the idea of a mouth full of snot does it for me.
So I will be here reading and following and soaking up as much info as I can.

billfromlachine

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Mark,
Looks like you hit the ground running with growing in containers and raised bed. We do likewise.
Regards from Canada
Bill

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have pretty much watched every episode now
Oh nooooo, I hope I didn't drive you crazy looking at my ugly dial for that long! :)

Seriously, thanks for supporting my content.

Raised container food gardening is definitely the answer to a lot of different problems such as poor soil, pests, personal injury or disability, age, etc.

I love trying as many types of veggies as I can and I recommend others do the same but I do understand if you don't want to give okra a go - it's not one of my favs either (even if it is too easy to grow).

Cheers :)

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oh nooooo, I hope I didn't drive you crazy looking at my ugly dial for that long! :)

Seriously, thanks for supporting my content.

Raised container food gardening is definitely the answer to a lot of different problems such as poor soil, pests, personal injury or disability, age, etc.

I love trying as many types of veggies as I can and I recommend others do the same but I do understand if you don't want to give okra a go - it's not one of my favs either (even if it is too easy to grow).

Cheers :)
Since writing this I have re watched several episodes and have been online buying seeds that I cannot get locally.
I have built another raised bed and have planted garlic, onions, bought and planted some heirloom seeds both beetroot and carrot. also I have a huge range of seeds ready for when spring hits for a massive range of veges that I have never looked at before. I am keen to try pickling cucumbers/pickles so have got a range of around 6 different varieties.
I have already planned another raised bed which will be about 1200mm from one of my recently made beds so I can make a raised tunnel to grow some cucumbers and beans over.
This is getting out of control!
But I am loving it and it has given me a new lease on life.
Thanks again Mark.

Top Bottom