Hello from sunny Victoria...wait, now it's raining...no, suns back

Paulphot

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi everyone, Paul from South West Victoria. Just getting started in our garden after building our first house. So far I have a front lawn and an espalier citrus wall started but plan on becoming self-sufficient for just about all our fruit and veg.

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Paul welcome to the forum best of luck with your fruit and veg gardens.Dave

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Paul - best wishes for the development of your garden. Nothing better than eating fresh fruit and vegetables from your own garden!

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Paul, down Warrnambool(?) way is a lovely area. I'm from the South-East myself, much less land to work as we're a bit more built up.

I think I remember seeing something about espalier trees on Gardening Australia, looked like a lot of work, worth it?

Flamin' Mongrel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Paul - just googled espalier citrus wall! Looks like a cool space saving way to do fruit!

Paulphot

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
...' espalier citrus wall', nice one, Paul. You planted something that you can eat.
Thanks Mary, it's all about the food for me, I haven't planted anything that can't go into the kitchen. Although I do cheat a bit, I have been known to grab a tomato from the bush and a basil leaf and just go for it.

Shannon Robinson

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
We are a family of 6, growing in our yard in the suburbs. I’m trying to have something harvest all year round in my yard. So far, I’m managing. Garden gives something year round, even if just leeks, chard, bunching onions, or Jerusalem artichokes in winter, plus fruit trees harvest about 7 months out of the year. Peaches in June and July, pomegranate in November, lemons in November, December, January, feb, and March, blood orange in dec, navel orange in January and avocado in February. Summertime and fall are crazy with garden produce. We have about 1400 sq ft of growing tops, mainly in raised beds. Just about to add another bed 4 ft by 16 ft, and 10 inches deep. This will give us another 54 sq ft. Never enough room during the spring to summer planting. We have fruit trees scattered around the yard along with plantings of herbs. A plant should be producing, beauty or food, but preferably food to be in my yard.
We also raise chickens, having 6 hens now and one rooster.

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We are a family of 6, growing in our yard in the suburbs. I’m trying to have something harvest all year round in my yard. So far, I’m managing. Garden gives something year round, even if just leeks, chard, bunching onions, or Jerusalem artichokes in winter, plus fruit trees harvest about 7 months out of the year. Peaches in June and July, pomegranate in November, lemons in November, December, January, feb, and March, blood orange in dec, navel orange in January and avocado in February. Summertime and fall are crazy with garden produce. We have about 1400 sq ft of growing tops, mainly in raised beds. Just about to add another bed 4 ft by 16 ft, and 10 inches deep. This will give us another 54 sq ft. Never enough room during the spring to summer planting. We have fruit trees scattered around the yard along with plantings of herbs. A plant should be producing, beauty or food, but preferably food to be in my yard
We also raise chickens, having 6 hens now and one rooster.

Shannon, your yard is to die for with the different variety of edibles you have growing including the chooks :) I just added blood orange and pomegranate to my shopping list. :) I too live in the 'burbs and I have a young fruit forest and garden both front and backyard. Fruit trees don't mind our summer as long as I remember to water them if need be. I grow my tomatoes under or in between my fruit trees because as soon as our summer gets here it burns the lot to the ground. Next year, I will also grow some of my tomatoes alongside the corn, beans trellis or sunflowers or any tall plants for partial shade. I am trying something different this year, like do some late planting. I am going to put in some dwarf beans, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, beets, carrots, and some salad greens. If these new lot works out I don't have to risk planting any early summer.

Top Bottom