Hello from Adelaide

Cathryne

Premium Member
Hello everyone. My name is Cathryne and I live on a small farm of 9 acres in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. My dream is to be able to give away the working world, to grow our own food and to live in our own little piece of paradise instead of being away from it most of the time for work. We have 3 alpacas, 23 chooks, a Cockatiel, a Galah, a Lorikeet, a Rosella and an Indian Ringneck parrot. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, 3 goslings and are about to hatch some quail. We have planted an orchard and I can't wait to make our vegetable garden

Cathryne

Premium Member
I am waiting for the quail to hatch. They should have started today but nothing is happening Maybe tomorrow?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am waiting for the quail to hatch. They should have started today but nothing is happening Maybe tomorrow?
Yeah they can be a little unpredictable but probably better late than too early - premature quail chicks can be frail.

Welcome Cathryne!

This is definitely the right place to chat about your dream of becoming more self-sufficient.

The Adelaide Hills is such a famous location and 9 acres is a great sized property - congrats on your journey so far.

We've found growing our own produce to be a life changing experience and I don't say that lightly. It's true you can save money by gyo but the exercise and nutritional value of this type of lifestyle is really what I enjoy most about it. Plus, my stress level personally has been lowered substantially since moving to our small acreage.

Please feel free to share your experience and projects with us, join discussions, or ask questions etc we all love this type of stuff here :)

Cathryne

Premium Member
Yeah they can be a little unpredictable but probably better late than too early - premature quail chicks can be frail.

Welcome Cathryne!

This is definitely the right place to chat about your dream of becoming more self-sufficient.

The Adelaide Hills is such a famous location and 9 acres is a great sized property - congrats on your journey so far.

We've found growing our own produce to be a life changing experience and I don't say that lightly. It's true you can save money by gyo but the exercise and nutritional value of this type of lifestyle is really what I enjoy most about it. Plus, my stress level personally has been lowered substantially since moving to our small acreage.

Please feel free to share your experience and projects with us, join discussions, or ask questions etc we all love this type of stuff here :)
Oh my goodness. There are 6 baby quail in the incubator this morning......so exciting
What do you call baby quail? Quaillets, quailings hahaha

Cathryne

Premium Member
I have 23 quail chicks tonight - who would have thought? This is just magic!
I have previously got a real kick out of planting seeds and getting not just a plant but a crop of vegetables or fruit. This really takes the wonder of life to another level again.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good one, Cathryn. Hope they all do well.
Great idea setting up an orchard also. I look forward to hearing how you do this as I will be following suit soon.

Ken W.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Cathryne. You've got a bit going on there with the animals and birds but they add to the adventure. Hatching/breeding your own animals really does add another level to the enjoyment we can attain from a self-sufficient lifestyle. We've bred chooks, goats, cows, birds and are awaiting the arrival of our first lambs. It's an amazing education for kids to witness.

SAJay

Premium Member
GOLD
Hi Cathryne, I'm on the Fleurieu Peninsula, just south of Adelaide. We have 14 Chickens, 10 ducks, 3 cats, not sure how many rabbits and 5 Papillon dogs. (We breed them). After reading info on this site I'm giving serious thought to getting quail. Have a small orchard with apples, pears, apricots, nashi pears, lemons, limes, peaches and nectarines. We also have veggies. We constantly are rearing chickens and ducks in the incubator for the table and are aiming to be as self sufficient as we can be. In fact today I start my final week at work. I've decided to chuck it all in and focus on our little homestead. Next Thursday is my last day so wish me luck. Like you I'm new to this site but everyone seems very friendly and helpful. Good luck to you.

Jay.

Last edited:

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Belated welcome Cathryne. I am always envious of those who can have stone fruits in their orchards.
I hope your self sufficiency plans go well. We all strive for it but often we find the lack of cash is too restrictive.
Maybe you can breed more quail & sell or barter them?

Elle 's Belles

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I have 23 quail chicks tonight - who would have thought? This is just magic!
I have previously got a real kick out of planting seeds and getting not just a plant but a crop of vegetables or fruit. This really takes the wonder of life to another level again.

OMG! You have filled me with hope that I may be able to manage to have 'chick success' too. Congratulations on your recent quailings ... or whatever those cute little beggars are actually called :)

Top Bottom