Hello From a New Qld. Member.....

Val.Stewart

Premium Member
Hello to all....I`m thrilled to find this Site as I am a real fan of Dragon Fruit......know very little about growing them but love the flavour and freshness of the fruit.

I was given a cutting about four or five years ago and didn`t know the fruit was edible. Last year it was loaded up with fruit and my son was home and he introduced me to them.......

A lesson learnt....I planted the cutting at the bottom of a very tall gum tree !! Now of course, the the canopy of the plant is very much out of my reach. Will start some more cuttings in September.

This plant....unknown variety but has very nice white flesh.

Have been given a red fleshed variety by one of my sons clients......hasn`t flowered as yet.

Purchased Trish(a) from Tamborine Dragon Fruit Farm a few months back.....it is growing like a weed !! Can`t wait for the results.

I live an hour south west of Brisbane City ......good to see some other Queenslanders here, too.

Cheers, Val.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Hi Val, a warm welcome to you from someone else south of the river.

Looking forward to hearing more about your Dragon Fruit. I have never tried it. Might have to keep an eye out for some.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the site Val!

You do know Dragon Fruit sends you a bit crazy? Just look at Mark :crazy: ... (just joking!)

as Steve said (he keeps beating me on the posts tonight)... we'd be keen to hear or see more of your garden or property! pics pics pics! :pic:

Val.Stewart

Premium Member

Looking forward to hearing more about your Dragon Fruit. I have never tried it. Might have to keep an eye out for some.

Steve....not sure if I`m posting in the right place.......thank you for the welcome...........

I`m really excited that my plants are showing plenty of new growth.......don`t get excited though, as they are all new cuttings just showing me that they are on the move !! The one "up the tree" is another matter !! It flowered profusely a while back but didn`t set one fruit !! Very disappointing to say the least........

Val.

Val.Stewart

Premium Member
Welcome to the site Val!

You do know Dragon Fruit sends you a bit crazy? Just look at Mark :crazy: ... (just joking!)

as Steve said (he keeps beating me on the posts tonight)... we'd be keen to hear or see more of your garden or property! pics pics pics! :pic:

Hi Stevo......I`m already a little odd !!

Yes, I will take some pics.....don`t expect anything fancy !! Will do it over the weekend..........Val.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Crikey the forums running hot tonight :D

Welcome Val! Thanks for joining SSC.

I love dragon fruit too and don't listen to Stevo eating the fruit won't make you crazy in fact it actually makes you smarter... of course, I don't have any evidence to back that claim up but it is good for you :)

A lesson learnt....I planted the cutting at the bottom of a very tall gum tree !! Now of course, the the canopy of the plant is very much out of my reach. Will start some more cuttings in September.

Yeah, they will keep climbing if you let them. I think DF are best trained up a fence post or structure about 1.5 - 2 mtrs high and then left to branch out at the top.

The red fleshed variety has a reputation of looking terrific but tasting bland; however, in my experience this is NOT the case as our red fleshed dragon fruit are excellent eating and not bland at all. I have purchased red fleshed DF from Woolies which have been terribly bland - don't know why though, but perhaps that's where the bad rep came from. I'm confident your home-grown red variety will taste great!

Anyway, we already have a dragon fruit thread here http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/dragon-fruit-pitaya.20/ so we might as well make use of it if you would like to chat more specifically about growing it.

Jennie

Premium Member
Hi Val,

I will be back in Qld South west Brisbane in July, what suburb are you in? I am in Jimboomba. Maybe in the future we can do produce swaps if you live nearby!? It is a great way to get a better variety without the hard work ! I have driven past the Tamborine Dragon fruit farm many times! I am excited to get to know all of you and share all of our ideas!

Top Bottom