Question Has anyone from Northern Australia considered planting Canarium Ovatum (Pili)?

Joseph Isaac

Premium Member
Hi everyone, I just want to know if anyone has ever planted this type of fruit tree? How well does it grow in your area?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've never heard of a Pili tree (Canarium Ovatum) Joseph - is there a reason you are wondering if it can be grown in Northern Australia?

Joseph Isaac

Premium Member
I just want to share a little bit of information about this tree.
11401208_10153372164201462_7028986455992844104_n.jpg

Pili is native in South East Asia but is also available in Northern Australia. Since I figured that most of the active members here are from temperate areas, I hope you would consider planting this tree. Canarium Ovatum or Pili is an unheard tree. You would probably consider it as an ornamental plant. Like papaya and rambutans there are male type of this tree that only blooms flower. The "female" pili tree however is more productive. Its fruit is edible. Some say that pili nuts are even superior compared to almonds. A study conducted in University of Hawaii suggests that it has the same status as macadamia nuts some 30 years ago. My province is among the few province in the country (or perhaps the world) that produces Pili for commercial use. If you happen to ask something about this tree or how to prepare the pili nut and fruit, feel free to ask. Btw ,this is what the fruit looks like: (the photos below came from google. Our pili tree isn't blooming at this moment)
2013-06-nativetrees-pili-unripe-fruit-source-anthropogen.jpg

and the ripe ones look like this:

DSC03362w.jpg

photo sources: http://www.haribon.org.ph/index.php...ative-trees/158-the-pili-tree-canarium-ovatum
http://bulusanvirtualtour.blogspot.com/2012/07/nikit-pili-study.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom