Growing grapes in subtropical climate SE QLD

Discussion in 'Fruit 'n Nuts' started by Mark, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Remove Adverts
    (like this above)
    by registering!
    Register Now!
    Can I start by saying I'm not grape expert, actually I'm a complete novice as far as grape growing goes...

However, one thing that irked me when I first moved to a subtropical climate was the notion it was impossible to grow grapes in a hot humid climate and even if you could the vines would suffer and the fruit wouldn't be worth eating.

So, not to shirk a challenge I decided to see if I could grow grapes on my subtropical property. And, as you can see from the following images it not only is possible but it's also productive and completely busts the myth that it can't be done.

Yesterday, I trimmed my vine back as grape vines should be pruned each season whilst the plant is dormant (to prevent it from bleeding too much). The pruning gives the vine new vigour to regrow strongly from the remaining shoots to produce good growth and hopefully well formed fruit.

Grape growers usually grow vines in rows on wire trellises training the plant up a single stem then making a "T" at the top. Pruning back each year is a bit of an art and can be a little complicated to understand but the point I want to make for a home grower is don't be too worried about the finer details of grape growing because as passionate as some are about the "best" way to prune and care for a grape vine, the truth is once established grapes are pretty hardy and even if your pruning technique is amateur (like mine) great grape results can still be achieved with minimal effort.

For our first grape vine, we decided (as usual) to be unconventional and not grow it normally. Instead, I trained the vine up the side of our house to give the back view a more "softened" look (a Mediterranean feel) and we think it works rather well.

I installed some galvanised wire on stainless steel eye screws between the two posts to help the grape vine crawl and twirl its way around where we wanted it to go and apart from that I have given it little care.

Here's the vine with leaves about start summer.​

Grape vine house 1000.jpg

Mid-winter is a good time to prune​

grape vine before pruning 1000.jpg

The vine is cut back harshly and I leave only about 10 or so new buds (leave the cut about an inch from the bud (if on an end).​

grape vine bud to look for pruning.jpg

The images below shows my main pruning effort (not much left) the tips with one or two buds remaining are evident - note that this is not a traditional "T" shape because I have trained the vine up and around.​

grape vine after pruning 1000.jpg

Grapes forming - there's something pretty about grapes hanging from your home :)

grape green bunch downpine house 1000.jpg

Here's the same bunch fully ripe ready for picking.​

grape bunch ripe downpipe house 1000.jpg

picked grapes 1000.jpg
    grape ripe bunch looking through 1000.jpg

And, that's my grape vine grown in a subtropical climate!
  2. stevo

stevo Yeeha Cider Co. Premium Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. Mark

Ha ha! Thanks Stevo :)

I purchased it as a small potted plant (I think it was Daleys or it may have been Bunnings).

The variety is called Flame Seedless and it took only two seasons to train it where it is and produce the bunches (images you see at top of this thread).

In the image below it shows the grape vine in it's first year (May 2011) at this point I let it grow two leaders from the base and then after that season (a few months later) I selected the strongest looking leader and removed the other one to make just one stem.

I tried an experiment last winter to see if I could grow a new vine from cuttings and out of about 4 I had one which struck and is currently growing well in a pot - I'm thinking of planting it on the other side of our house (in lieu of Nina's failed passionfruit vine) when it gets a little stronger and better root development. I'll be trying some more cuttings this year - see how they go.

grape vine young climbing house.jpg

Flame seedless grape label good variety for humid conditions.jpg
  4. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

That's awesome Mark. And I agree with Stevo that you need to stop it!

I dont know much about grapes either but it looks like you've done a great job.
    My father used to grow grapes in Adelaide but the weather there is perfect I suspect as he had a mini vineyard and had enough produce to make his own Shiraz wine to last the year till next season. A pretty cool set up really.

There aren't many wineries up in the sub-tropics but there are a few (Sirromet at Mt Cotton is the most well known that i know of) so they must be able to grow them fairly well or else they wouldn't have much of a business you would think.
    I remember visiting a small winery out near Kenilworth where it gets pretty damn hot and it seemed to be doing ok too.

I have always wanted a few grape vines as the wife just loves them, as long as they don't have seeds then she will demolish them. I could save a packet in fruit costs during grape season if I could grow my own. I've never seen grapes in a pot before so I doubt I could pull that one off. Might have to wait till I have some of my own dirt.

Hey Mark, have you ever tried making your own sultanas from the grapes in your dehydrator? My wife eats sultanas every day of her life so I see another money saving idea in the making....
  5. Mark

Subtropical wineries are possible and do exist yes true, but they're usually inland or up a mountain. The heat isn't the problem it's more the humidity that hurts the vine and allows the fungal diseases to thrive. The dry heat of SA is perfect but the humidity in a subtropical climate can mean lots of chemicals to keep the crops developing. I'd say that 's where the viability comes in and the notion that grapes can't be grown in these climates when in fact they can, especially, a grape with good disease tolerance. To grow grapes at home (and not for a business) takes the "viability" issue out because we grow for us and not for profit. Here's me getting philosophical again :rolleyes: time to shut up...

I was going to last season but we ate all the grapes! I'll do a test this Nov/Dec when our next crop will be ready but it's pretty easy to do - just bung'em in and dry'em out. No pesticides, just fresh home-grown produce... magic :D