Helen Auriga

Ecological Farming & Landcare
Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Tablelands, NSW
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I'm about to acquire a second greenhouse and would be interested to hear what people are using as flooring. My existing greenhouse is on a concrete slab - good but expensive. At work the floors are dirt and the number of weeds that grow really annoys me plus it makes it easier for rabbits to dig their way in.
What do you have as a greenhouse floor?
Thanks

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've always used crusher dust also known as fine blue metal. Yes there will be weeds in that medium because it's equivalent to fertilizer anyway!
But as I read that you have a rabbit problem I'm at a loss to know what you would use.
It would more depend on what the greenh0use was constructed of as to what would work best.
If the greenhouse has solid walls & frame then yes concrete is probably your best option because you can have doors sliding in a track in the concrete to prevent rabbit entry.
If it has a bent pipe frame & soft plastic walls, then that material wont keep them out anyway I suspect.
So you would have to add chicken wire dug into the ground & run up the sides but what do you use across the door ends.

Reactions: Helen Auriga

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Nov 24, 2017
Mid North SA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Pavers of some kind could be a cheaper option, especially if you can pick up some second ones cheaply or freebies. Even those square concrete garden pavers/steps would work. You still might get some weeds in the cracks, but no rabbits.

Helen Auriga

Ecological Farming & Landcare
Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Tablelands, NSW
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Thanks guys. The green house is metal frame with glass. I've used crusher dust under the water tank with a concrete border. I get plenty of weeds but they're not too hard to pull out. Will put feelers out for old pavers, i think they would need a crusher dust base anyway so they stay flat and stable. Will still need concrete border to bolt down the greenhouse. We get high winds.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Nov 24, 2017
Mid North SA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
For a greenhouse, you could just spread some paving sand to bed them in, and then lay the pavers. Spirit level and rubber mallet are the only tools you need.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe consider concrete... weeds are so annoying they're bad enough in the garden let alone a greenhouse. How big is the area? What would it cost? Could you lay the slab yourself?