G'day, it's Jimmy from Melbourne

Jimmy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks for having me. We've all bee having a bit of a rough time with the current global climate, and it's people like you Mark who are inspiring us to make small changes and become a little more self reliant. When I was a young boy, my mum gave me a book called, "Your own resources: A practical book for self sufficient people in Australia" (Compiled by Michael Richardson). I still have it. This book pretty much set the tone for my life. It taught me to be self reliant. While the the other kids played video games, I took to the outdoors, crafting, learning to use tools and keeping in mind how nature provides for us. I never understood fossil fuel, but I did understand that it's what our economy was built on.
Growing up it was the looming threat of the hole in the ozone layer. Now it's mass extinction of wildlife and climate change. Something can be said for getting back to basics. It's important and humbling to see so many people getting into self sufficiency. The consumerist nature of current society rewards the consumer. But this is a false narrative perpetuated by advertisers using fear to sell products. High-rise, hi-density living is good for the economy, no so good for people.
I look forward with hope and that communities like this continue to grow and thrive. Cheers.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Jimmy and thanks for joining us!

How good was it that your mother had the forethought to give that book :)

Cheers and I hope you enjoy it here - our online self-sufficient forum community is growing slowly but surely just like a rich avocado ;)

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'Day and welcome.

Jimmy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Jimmy!

Feel free to showcase all the goodies you've accomplished based on that book - sounds intriguing :)
Thanks Geo. It's getting started, but we had a good grow over summer and looking forward to a spring planting.

Reactions: Geo
Top Bottom