G'day from WA

firm351

Premium Member
G'day folks, My name is Paul, my wife and i have just bought a new house on 2.5 acres in Mundijong which is on the outskirts of Perth.

We have three kids under 5 so i'm pretty excited to be able to move out of the crammed in suburbs and have some space of our own. The new place has a fair few fruit trees already and as pretty big chicken enclosure which i reckon we will find a use for pretty quickly(maybe to contain the kids).

I have had a small veggie patch going in our backyard for couple of years which has been good but i cant wait to have the room to do pretty much what ever i want in the veggie garden now with no real size restrictions, with the inspiration i will be getting from here the sky's the limit.

I look forward to asking loads of questions and maybe even being to answer the odd one as well.

Anyway i'm off to search the net for ride on mowers, chainsaws, tractors, food dehydrators, sheep, chicke...oh the list is endless i haven't even started yet and i think i'm addicted.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day Paul and thanks for becoming a member of SSC!

Coincidentally, my wife just flew back from Perth and I picked her up from the airport this morning. We dropped into Brisbane city for an early morning breakfast - it was the first time I'd been into the city for about 12 months and it took me about 5 mins to realise again why we decided to move out here on our 3 acre block. What an awful environment city living is! :p Seriously, I hate it... Full of carbon monoxide and pretend greenies :D Not that there's anything wrong with the burbs and there are plenty of people who make awesome use out of a small block but the inner city is different and definitely not for me.

Congrats on your new property and you can do heaps with 2.5 acres of land. To have some established fruit trees is a real bonus and a chook run ready to go will save a lot of work.

We have some very knowledgable people here on the forum and I'm personally happy to help with any questions you may have, but I'll probably be learning more from you - that's what this online community is about. Last weekend, I visited friends of ours at @Wendara Farm and one thing we had a good laugh about was how only people like "us" (into self-sufficiency) know the buzz and excitement that comes with this lifestyle. We can sometimes only relate to each other whereas others don't quite understand what the fuss is about.

It's very exciting starting out on your new property and I can promise the more you do the more you want to do when it comes to DIY, GYO, and keeping animals! Please share some projects, your thoughts, or whatever with us here when you can.

Cheers :cheers:

firm351

Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcome Mark, it makes me fell like part of the community already.

I know what you mean about the city mate, i live about 40 kms from perth city now and probably go into the city once a year only when i really have to. My wife and I both grew up in small country towns but ended up living in the metro area of perth so we are happy as pigs in mud to moving back to a rural area(even know its only 25 mins from where we are now).

I'm very impressed with what you have going on at your place mate, if i can turn my place into a fraction of you've done i'll be a very happy chappy.

Cheers Paul.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm very impressed with what you have going on at your place mate, if i can turn my place into a fraction of you've done i'll be a very happy chappy.
I'm sure you can mate - it's easy! Very addictive though... :D

Jenni

Premium Member
Hi Paul

Great that you have joined us.. Sounds like you have got lots of projects you want to get started. It will be great if you can share them here. I am just starting out on making the most of my place and yes very addictive...

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Hi Paul. One of my sisters is over there. She moved from Inner suburbs to rural, and was swamped within 5 years. Here in SA , Adelaide, Mt. Barker and Murray Bridge are nearly joined up. All the states best productive land under sewerage, stormwater and concrete. Millions of sq.kms of desert no-one wants to even visit.
I just don't get the convenience + feel-good stuff. De-centralisation is the answer to both social and ecological overload in my opinion. I can get all I need , so I don't even ever need to set foot in a suburban cess-pit. Just like before whitefellas came matey. But a lot easier. I don't even go to town for my dependencies, let alone pay top-dollar for them. City-centricity breeds complacent ignorance, by any equation. The scurge the guvment want us all to accept.

Top Bottom