Fruit Fly Trap - commercial type

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by stevo, Aug 27, 2013.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I bought this little trap yesterday from the local nursery. It's a Searles Fruit Fly Trap. $13.50. I'm sure there be cheaper at Bunnings. There's a wick with an attractant and insecticide included, the wick is supposed to last three months and you can buy another wick for a couple of dollars.

I hung it up last night and i just checked tonight and there was 5 fruit flies in there! I actually thought they were some kind of wasp at first, i didn't realise fruit flies were so big, about the same size as the stingless bee.

I know Mark will be doing a post about a homemade trap and i'll probably try that aswell. Can't have too many eh? edit: here's the link: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/easy-and-cheap-diy-fruit-fly-trap.245/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Great post Stevo! Terrific images :shock: I mean it - especially that last shot of the dead fruit flies.

It's a nifty little trap isn't it and it obviously works really well. They're buggers aren't they and yes they are quite big and do look more like a wasp than a fly. They have a stinger/egg layer on the abdomen so I don't know why they are not called a fruit wasp?

I've never tried the commercial traps but it looks nice and neat and the fact you can simply change the wick for a few dollars isn't too bad at all.

I shot "how to make a DIY fruit fly trap" today - so I will work on editing the video tonight and hopefully have it ready by bedtime but this post has given me several after thoughts like: using the commercial wick in my DIY trap. Anyway, I'll make a completely new thread for the DIY version so we don't confuse the two then we can link them to each other and compare results! :cheers:

Well done on this and great catch - 5 fruit flies already. That Mexican fruit fly better look out cause Stevo is the fruit fly ...:assassin:

3. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    cheers Mark,

Some more info which i forgot, the attractant only attracts males. The female is the one that lays the egg and by capturing the male the idea is to stop the breeding process.

I did some quick reading about the fruit fly and it seems to be a pretty serious problem in Australia and other countries. Some interesting info out there about fruit flies.

Good idea about the wick in a DIY trap, i might have to make a few

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    So the attractant must be a pheromone for mating etc - there must be a reason why they developed it this way... :think: Why not attract both and kill'em all?

5. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Oh it will Mark it will.
    Despite what most females think, they really cant live without us. :smug:

• Like Like x 2
  6. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  8. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    no fruit flies caught yesterday,

so 5 fruit flies must have been the whole population of Clontarf........ just joking

I moved the trap to a different position.

9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Apparently, the traps are good for about 5 metres - I haven't seen much sign of fruit fly at my place yet... And, strangely my jalapenos or other chillies rarely get stung :dunno:

10. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    because they're all at my place :(

11. Steve

I hear the mexican fruit fly migrates to Clontarf over the winter months but then moves back Caboolture way when it starts to warm up. :ROFL:

Mark should see the swarm come over the hill any day now......:assassin:

12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    And I'll be really for the little buggers!!!! Got a stockpile of old soft drink bottles for my homemade fruit fly traps :thumbsup:

13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    ahhh maybe it wont be an apocalypse brain eating zombie crisis, just a fruit fly invasion, which could be worse because it destroys your food supply!

.... i got a few more today :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I had a look at some commercial fruit fly control measures in store and besides being rather expensive can anyone tell me why the traps are only to catch the male to ascertain if you have fruit fly in the area? I mean, why aren't these traps marketed as control measures?

According to the instructions on the products in the image, once you have established the presence of fruit fly in your yard you then must use the spray on the lower foliage and tree trunks (not on any fruit) and this will apparently control the fruit fly problem. This eco-naturalure is pretty popular in stores but I have read mixed reviews about how effective it is, which is a little disconcerting at $70 a bottle!

I've never had too much of an issue with fruit fly in my area and I've really only ever netted or bagged my fruit (like large tomatoes) - I do have them though and I've seen the maggots in large tomatoes, zucchini, and egg plant but never in large numbers and never in my citrus.

fruit fly traps and killer ecolure.jpg

Now, my father in-law swears by his home-made fruit fly trap as I show in the other post about fruit fly and these DIY traps according to him are designed as a complete control measure; however, I think I need to change my bait because I haven't caught one in my trap as yet with my squashed tomato concoction.

Beside the point, and getting back to the start of this post, why isn't there commercial traps to "control" fruit fly and not just "monitor" the males? Surely if you are catching all the males then should this prevent maggots being laid in fruit because won't most of the females be sterile? If anyone knows please put me out of my misery... :facepalm:

15. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The blurb on my trap says the female fruit fly lays her eggs in the fruit after mating so the trap gets the males and kills them before the mating happens. My trap now has 19 fruit fly in it, so that's a few taken out of circulation.

We may have to find out how long after mating does she lay her eggs. I think the male does a dance or sings or something and attracts the female for mating, so if you kill the males maybe the females wont come.

I'm sure it's not going to get rid of them 100% but it may save my vegies.

gees with all these costs growing your own stuff starts to add up !

16. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    So your brand of trap (Searles) is a purpose made control trap - they only had the monitoring traps at Masters. At least there's such a thing because I was beginning to think it was a total money making racket where people were forced to buy two products (for nothing). Why buy a monitoring trap when it's obvious fruit fly are in the area by seeing the damage in fruit etc? I'll have to check out Bunnings for those trap refills you were talking about to put in my home-made traps.

Yes, GYO isn't free - that's very true and I sometimes make the mistake of saying free vegetables or eggs etc from my backyard, which is not technically correct.

However, if you make your own traps it will save costs and be pretty cost effective in the long run. For example, I've been gathering a punnet of cherry tomatoes and strawberries every few days for the last month and if you were to buy them at say $3 a punnet you soon get your money back when you take away growing costs like pest control and fertiliser etc. Plus, the added benefits of gardening exercise and knowing the food is fresh and chemical free is underestimated by the majority of people.

17. Steve

I just read something interesting about fruit fly. :readit:

It seems the female fly will only mate once in its life.
    Could this mean that you are better off targeting the male of the species as it could ultimately have a greater impact on the number of eggs laid?
    If you kill one female then you are only stopping between 1 and 20 eggs being laid (that is the expected number from each female) whereas killing a male, or the local population of males, could do far more. Its a bit like what comes first, the chicken or the egg. That is, it works the other way so if you kill all the females then you wont have any eggs laid either.
    Interesting. :dunno:

I also read that it takes about 5 days between mating and the female laying the eggs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That is interesting - know thy enemy!

I saw a report on TV not so long ago about a breeding program where they bred sterile male fruit flies and the concept was the female would think she was fertile after mating and consequently lay infertile eggs causing the area population to breed itself extinct. Of course, the program needs to be kept up as new fruit flies arrive in the area but it's a nifty way of bio-control.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Good info Steve, just got to keep up with the traps i guess.

20. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Count as of today: approximatley 60 :assassin:

• Like Like x 1