Fort Yeah MF - build thread.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Bit of action today, took a while to make a jig up so I can weld the nuts to the posts and drill holes in the right spot on the sleepers so only managed the 1 pole today. Next ones should go a fair bit quicker.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That looks amazing! I really can't wait to see the end product!
I bet the family will enjoy this greatly, and it'll stand for many years to come.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mandy, I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product after all of the scribbles. I look forward to sitting up there Xmas day, 'supervising' with a nice cold beer

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
A lot more action today - uprights will be finished tomorrow and then prepped for paint. My circular saw was replaced with a new one.

And I've come to the conclusion (after MUCH testing) that as far as cut off discs, flap discs and grinder wheels are concerned - spending more is worth it! I am going through 1 $2.40 cut off disc where I was going through 3 - 5 of the $1.50 cheapies - cheaper is not cheerful at all when you do the maths.

My pics got a bit jumbled - such a shame to grind some of these welds I'm getting off the new welder

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Deadline is drawing close now, flurry of activity happening and not taking as many pics as I hoped. Main posts need wire brushing and painting, sleepers have to be drilled out and that's the bones. I'm hoping to have the 4 posts raised and pegged on Saturday so I can build the floor in situ.

As a side note, anyone looking for sawhorses I highly recommend the Toughbuilt C500. I got the pair from Bunnings for $109 and they have had a lot of weight on them and no sign of failing or instability. I didn't have to clamp any wood down due to the grip tape surface holding it nicely (maybe not as good with DAR wood but mint for rough sawn).

Please excuse the mess, I haven't had time to keep it spotless atm

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Collected 1.5m³ of Port Phillips finest triple washed beach sand today, quick way to spend a couple hundred bucks but at least the kids won't be inhaling anything bad from cheaper sand and when you consider 50 bags of washed sand from green shed would be about $350 it's not so bad at all.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Collected 1.5m³ of Port Phillips finest triple washed beach sand today, quick way to spend a couple hundred bucks but at least the kids won't be inhaling anything bad from cheaper sand and when you consider 50 bags of washed sand from green shed would be about $350 it's not so bad at all.

Sweet! Nice going!
If there be any leftovers you could probably use it for gardening as well :p

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Sweet! Nice going!
If there be any leftovers you could probably use it for gardening as well :p

By my calcs I should have about 1/4m³ left over - better to get the extra scoop than to have to drag my butt down there again 🙃

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
By my calcs I should have about 1/4m³ left over - better to get the extra scoop than to have to drag my butt down there again 🙃
Yeah exactly! And one can always find a purpose for extra's, especially one as handy as you ;)

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Bad news from the Doc today, initial indication I have Metatarsalgia. Stepped up a kerb on Wednesday and my foot exploded in pain. Xray yesterday, another in 2 weeks. Fun fun. That also means I can't make it to the finish line on this. One thing after another unfortunately.

Will chip away tomorrow so the deck (for shade) and sand pit is complete so they have something xmas day and then the rest will have to come as my foot will allow.

The decking is all cut so just a matter of screwing it down. Stapling the weed matting in and then shovel sand for whoever I can rope in for ferrying duties.

Only pic I took today.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh no! Rest well! Your health is more important, and the kids can always come visit and play another day. Though I doubt they can keep their hands off of the frame already though.
Take is easy and have a great Christmas!

Top Bottom