Finally, my carambolas are flowering !!

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We had a hard winter 3 years ago and both trees froze to the ground ...
I am thrilled - starfruit coming !!

20200713_111747 starfruit close up.jpg

starfruit flowers 20200713_111832.jpg

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I hope to defeat Mother Nature ....
Hurricane Marco is headed directly at me and I finally have starfruit on my trees. They are so fragile, I am pretty sure they will fall at the first gust of wind and they are soooo young, I think the harvest will be a total forfeit.

The forecast is for only a category 1 storm, so I am not worried for my home or family, just the garden.

tiagofeits

Premium Member
Climate
Tropical
Yay! Carambolas are delicious! We have been growing them here for about 10 years, we have a bee colony in the garden to pollinate them, and they are very fragile, and prone to be attacked by insects. Do not leave them to mature in the tree, or the insects will devour them. We often pick them when they start to turn yellow, and we freeze the fruits that we do not eat. They do amazing in juices, combined with pineapples or any berry. If you are afraid of them falling due to the wind, I suggest you tie a plastic bag around the tip of the branch (the bag must be full of air). If you have any other questions I'm here to help. Cheers!

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
interesting!

@DivingTemptress - can u please keep us updated with pictures of the development of those? :)

Also, if anyone has more tips on how to protect such fragile fruits from being damaged by wind & weather - do share! (yeees, I am aware that there are suggestions somewhere on-site, but a really quick keyword can help a lot)

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
interesting!

@DivingTemptress - can u please keep us updated with pictures of the development of those? :)

Also, if anyone has more tips on how to protect such fragile fruits from being damaged by wind & weather - do share! (yeees, I am aware that there are suggestions somewhere on-site, but a really quick keyword can help a lot)
Look at the top right of the screen spyglass there to search and YES will keep you updated on the progress

P J, the Dirt Diva

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, they look great!

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Progress report ....
fruit is ripening nicely, not all at once just 1 or 2 a day either falling off the tree themselves or ready to pick. There are now hundreds of blossoms on the two trees !!!

I have been slicing them up and storing in the freezer. There are now about a dozen so today I made starfruit jam and we did a "quality control" taste and it is YUMMY !!!! I think I will do a roselle hibiscus/starfruit combo and see how the flavors meld together, I am thinking it will start a new craze

P J, the Dirt Diva

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sweet and delicious !! And the jam recipe was easy ... complete success on my first attempt !

Attachments

• ripe starfruit closeup.jpg
    ripe starfruit closeup.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 189
Top Bottom