Carrot snake

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Letsgokate, Nov 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Reading posts about critters, thought I’d share this. This was taken last year when I can some carrots growing. Put my hand in amongst the carrots and nearly put my hand on this.

D423A305-74C3-43FC-9347-53C9E020848C.jpeg

We had a lot of issues with rats eating the produce and I guess this little thought he would help out and have lunch at the same time :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I wish I had his guy at my place right now.
    Some critter has decided I don't need the purple sweet potatoes growing in a bathtub garden bed!
    The blighter digs them up at night and chews through the root to each potato rendering the young potato basically dead in the ground.
    Then over the following nights the critter eats the potato whilst chewing through yet more roots off of the stems!
    Its amazing how high rats can jump. It has to be a rat or perhaps a young possum from the size of the teeth marks. My bathtub beds are up at waist height with little around them for a critter to climb up on.

3. Patty

Patty Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Tropical
    What a shame! Purples are my favourites. Would some kind of hardware cloth (metal mesh) over the ground prevent them from getting at the taters?

4. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Clissat what a pain, I really can sympathise. I have a high bed that I can drop a fruit fly net down and the rats have chewed through that several times.

I have enclosed my fruit trees it’s a big area covered with shade cloth and the rats have chewed through that in like 8 places that I now have to patch and then we are going to run some rat proof wire along about 300mm high in the hope that stops them.

They don’t like moth balls, so I have spread them around and apparently peppermint, so try growing that in amongst the sweet potato.