Been quiet because so much going on!

Mataeka

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Phew, it feels like I haven't had much to add on here lately. I've been getting a few new seedlings growing in my balcony pots lately but not as much as I'd like as I've been battling some crazy fatigue due to bub#2 which is due in April. On top of that I have had a surprise job offering come my way leading to having to chase up daycare etc if I do get the job. I'm a bit sad that I think getting a job will likely cut into my gardening time a fair bit (mostly due to reduced time with my son) but at the same time kinda looking forward to some adult time.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Congrats on the job. Sometimes our hobbies and even passions do have to take a back seat to other priorities of life. See you back when your next self sufficiency effort comes to fruition.

Mataeka

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
In a way if the job comes to fruition it's still heading towards the self sufficient end goal because it means helping pay off the mortgage quicker which allows us to begin saving for the forever home :) the one with plenty of space to garden so I'm not only restricted to growing in pots :D

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Understand all that @Mataeka
It can be tough sometimes. My wife is looking to get back into the workforce too after our first child. I think she will have mixed feeling about the whole thing too.

Everyone will have forgotten who i am :blush:
Not bloody likely ya rum-swilling garden monster!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not bloody likely ya rum-swilling garden monster!
LOL :cheers:

I'm a bit sad that I think getting a job will likely cut into my gardening time a fair bit (mostly due to reduced time with my son) but at the same time kinda looking forward to some adult time.
It's all a balance and sometimes it can be a simple matter of utilising time better because a small productive vegetable garden and/or several fruit trees really aren't too time-consuming. I used to have our son in his bassinet positioned in the backyard with an umbrella to shield him from the sun so I could work in the garden and look after him concurrently. I never did fit in with the mother's groups... sitting drinking coffee all day at the shopping centre talking baby isn't my thing (oops, did I just say that...) :)

Mataeka

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha God there needs to be gardener mum groups - so much!

The toddler can be semi-helpful and very destructive given the very limited reach he has on the balcony....

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well it's been a while since i was on here, October last year? I'm having a browse around the forum and I see a few old regulars and a few new names. Good to see it all still kicking along :cheers:

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I noticed you not posting here, Stevo.
Thought you must be building another shed.
Or perhaps those native bees carried you away! :D

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have been busy with a lot of different things. Moved my normal day job business in to my garage last year and have had a lot of changes. One excellent thing about that is i don't have to sit in the traffic on the Gateway road any more.

Still working in the bee shed on the weekends too. It was waayyy too hot in the shed over summer though so i'm generally behind and trying to catch up.

No new sheds, yet. .. but i did manage to salvage quite a bit of brand new colourbond roofing from a house reno down the street which may or may not become a new shed.

How's life on the farm Cliss?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ah yes Stevo, good & bad working from home!

The farm............ yes weellllllll.................... what can I say?
Times can be challenging to say the least & even when you do your best, influences conspire to undo all that planning, hard work & investigation.

I started a project 6mths ago to build 2 carports down the side & across the front of my house with my son's help; get a new 4bay shed with 240v power to it so a caretaker/come helping person could live in one bay; buy a tractor & a 3t machinery trailer to get some paid work; give my landcruiser ute its 30th birthday present of a complete rebuild; get the dam water to a usable state; buy a new push mower & chipper; & a few other small things.

Well the landcruiser will be home in a week or so all shight & briny; still waiting for my son to help with the carports; the almost new sub-compact JD tractor is not the right one as the midmount deck is far too low for mowing horse paddocks or over dead fall from the gum trees; the shed is still awaiting build after too much wet weather on the less than adequate exposed subsoil of the shedpad plus a litany of mistakes & cost overruns including now not having a concrete floor; power hook-up costs that blew out due to afore mentioned shed stuff ups; still awaiting the agronomist regarding the dam water; I will have to wait to see if I can afford a new push mower & chipper or even secondhand; had to let go of the idea of a 3t tipping trailer for the tractor work.

How do I feel after all of that? Well don't come too close if you want to stay safe! :quiver::mad::censored::fighthey:

Other than that is a laugh a day cos if I wasn't laughing I'd be screaming!:D

Now if only there would be no rain for the coming week so the truck can deliver the shed kit.:rolleyes:

So at this stage the only thing that escaped the devils influence is the landcruiser....... well, I haven't seen it for a few weeks so I hope it will be in one piece, with quality work done & driving fine. Last time I saw it, it was in a 1000 pieces on a workshop floor! The guy is renowned for doing good work & I trust him so here's hoping for a good outcome.

I cant remember if I mentioned some time back that I was planning to take my first holiday in 20yrs & go to Birdsville in late June to mid July for the Big Red Bash Concert & that I had bought the ticket, made the plans & purchased a small secondhand camping trailer?
Well I cant go now!
No shed, no caretaker, no mattress for the camper that suits my sore back without heaps of pain.
Oh & the big one...they segregate the dog owners from non-dog owners, but not the smokers from the non-smokers!!
On an organic cattle station where its the rule you cant even rinse your tea cup & throw the water on the ground, they are allowing 7000 potential smokers & a heap of dogs!
Go figure!
I thought I read the rules, terms & conditions well enough that I understood them. Obviously not. The devil got me there too! ;)
6mths forward planning was just not enough!
So I'll try to sell the ticket & the camper trailer because I get bad asthma being around smokers.
Really wanted to see John Farnham live along with a heap of other entertainers from my younger days too.:(

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
hah sounds like a normal day in the life of a farmer :cheers:

It's been a funny year so far, i think we've had rain so often, maybe not a lot of mm, but it seems it rains a few times a week. Things are starting to dry out now though.

I know what back pain is like, injured mine again last month. It makes everything difficult to do.

You wanted to go that far to see John Farnham? :crazy: :D

oh well, at least you're keeping busy :hysterical:

Top Bottom