Backyard small Aquaponics systems.

How many of y'all are interested in Aquaponics as a backyard small means of growing food?

• I think AQ systems are not right for Backyards.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frank Kopke

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi
I am currently in sub tropical Gympie Qld with hopes of retiring in Far North Queensland...up there on the Atherton Tablelands...a somewhat more tropical region but also one that occasionally gets frosts in Winter.
My interest is in Backyard type feeding myself so I grow vegies, chooks and, soon I hope, fish in an aquaponics system.
I would love to hear from folk interested in these areas of backyard gardening and, by way of starting the ball rolling, offer ROBBOBS BACKYARD FARMING channel on You tube as a starting point for Aquaponics discussions.

Reactions: Mark

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi there Frank, welcome.
Hey I'm just south of Gympie, would love to see your setup.
Atherton will be cooler in general I think compared to Gympie although more humidity.

Water is my issue so although I'm interested in aquaponics, I wouldn't go to the trouble of setting one up.
Yandina blue house (Noosa permaculture) had a full system selling for a song. Don't know if it's still for sale.

Frank Kopke

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi there Frank, welcome.
Hey I'm just south of Gympie, would love to see your setup.
Atherton will be cooler in general I think compared to Gympie although more humidity.

Water is my issue so although I'm interested in aquaponics, I wouldn't go to the trouble of setting one up.
Yandina blue house (Noosa permaculture) had a full system selling for a song. Don't know if it's still for sale.
Hi.

I am currently renting so have no set up of my own but have built one of the "blue barrel' systems that worked VERY well and continues to work well at my friends house in Kingaroy.
Since I am renting I currently have just a few broccoli box vegetables in wicking set ups and a few fruit trees in air pruning wicking pots which currently need heaps of maintenance. The blueberry has sprung a leak between filling pipe and water reservoir so I will need to repot the whole plant. With the current rains we have been having and my being away from the house most all day I rarely get a chance to do the outside work I would like. Also, moving these pots is hard physical work as they are made from half blue barrel 200ltr drums.
The reason I hope to build more systems, including a three IBC tank system in Kingaroy later this year, is that it SAVES water, using up to 90% less water than a regular watered garden.
All my efforts are designed to reduce water usage, and hard work, including simple things like, a chicken coop with a raised floor of 1 inch mesh over which the chooks can roost, nesting boxes at waist height to ease collection, a wheel barrow under the coop to collect their poop along with a floor covered in at least 6-8 inches of shavings/shredded paper or straw to collect all their mess. All of the bedding goes into the compost or direct into the garden.
I am currently in the process of building a bath tub worm farm...

Maybe will post some pics on FB as I build. Looks like I won't have time to start it until about Easter so...hanging in there.

Thank you for replying