Another 5 new tree's lol

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well couldnt resist myself, I really think this is the end for awhile lol takes us to 48 trees in total, I think thats enough
2 x Plums, 2 x Peaches and another Lychee

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent Ray good to see your orchard expanding more there will be plenty of work in those 48 trees in a few years time but on the good side some yummy eating to. How is your dad's orange going after the transplant ?. Cheers Dave

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent Ray good to see your orchard expanding more there will be plenty of work in those 48 trees in a few years time but on the good side some yummy eating to. How is your dad's orange going after the transplant ?. Cheers Dave
Hey mate
Dad's Orange tree is going well, I pruned it back totally just after I planted it in, it looks good at this stage cant wait to see it start to rock n roll :)

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You are so lucky to have the water to keep them going and wise to stop at that number.
You can always plant a few more once it rains.

I purchased 5 new fruit trees back in late winter but almost immediately realised it was best not to plant them as they would be harder to care for if they were out in the orchard.
So I potted them on and left them along with the 7 potted-on blueberries near the grouped house plants where they get some shade and are easy to water.

As it stands, it looks like I've lost two mature navel orange trees so far in the orchard which is a real bugger because they were really nice sweet fruit.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You are so lucky to have the water to keep them going and wise to stop at that number.
You can always plant a few more once it rains.

I purchased 5 new fruit trees back in late winter but almost immediately realised it was best not to plant them as they would be harder to care for if they were out in the orchard.
So I potted them on and left them along with the 7 potted-on blueberries near the grouped house plants where they get some shade and are easy to water.

As it stands, it looks like I've lost two mature navel orange trees so far in the orchard which is a real bugger because they were really nice sweet fruit.
its always hard battling the elements, we have mulched heavily and done alot of work with the soil, fingers crossed all going really well
Fruiting tree's this year so far are Red Finger limes, Lemons 2 varieties, Blood Orange, Guava, Manderins. next few years we will have some crackers coming along.
In a couple of weeks we will be picking up a semi mature Jaboticaba and a Kensington Pride Mango lol

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I planted a jaboticaba two years ago but they hate drying out apparently so it never did any good and darned near died last dry season.
Recently I moved it to the new fruit tree mound where it has better deeper soil and closer to a bit of grey water from the house.
So far its handled the transplant ok.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nice selection of trees! Those flat peaches grow like crazy and make excellent lunch box snacks - have to net them from fruit fly here. Sometimes they even sting the fruit when young and they fall from the tree - I learnt that the hard way.

bagging flat peaches 800.jpg
Angel, flat, or donut peach

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nice selection of trees! Those flat peaches grow like crazy and make excellent lunch box snacks - have to net them from fruit fly here. Sometimes they even sting the fruit when young and they fall from the tree - I learnt that the hard way.

View attachment 3773
Angel, flat, or donut peach
Mark
will be curious to see how we go with fruit fly etc up here, I will have netting ready so fingers crossed :)

and whilst I admit I said I was going to stop there, today I have put down some money on a Japoticaba thats 6ft and a 6ft Kensington Mango tree, (BAD ME) BAD BAD ME

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love your optimism Ray and really hope it all pays off.

Sadly, I have lost most of my fruit trees. I hope to replace them and plant closer to the house which should allow me to supplement water. I am determined to succeed with fruit trees.

All the best one and all.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love your optimism Ray and really hope it all pays off.

Sadly, I have lost most of my fruit trees. I hope to replace them and plant closer to the house which should allow me to supplement water. I am determined to succeed with fruit trees.

All the best one and all.
I have each tree on an individual watering system, so I can water as often as I like :)
they are going great guns, lots of flowers and fruit already this year

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Many of my trees aren't doing very well due to no water.
I'm very short of garden water now.
No storms means no water.
20yo citrus are dying back bigtime.
Crows are eating the mangoes, parrots ate the lychees.
=\__(@∆@)__/=

Last edited:

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Many of my trees aren't doing very well due to no water.
I'm very short of garden water now.
No storms means no water.
20yo citrus are dying back bigtime.
Crows are eating the mangoes, parrots ate the lychees.
=\__(@∆@)__/=
That would be hard to take, I have a 23,000 litre tank thats on the garage, its about half full currently, I just buy a load of water when I empty it to keep my babies going, its a harsh old environment out there, I was lucky enough to buy mum a lovely little house on 5 acres 3 houses down from me in my street, after Dad passed I was worried about her and being alone and over 2 hours away from me, the property has a huge Dam with pumps for the land and a new garage has a monster rainwater tank on it with pumps and some fruit tree's, I will take advantage of that area also and plant it up

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray, I have been super busy (good busy some of it) and not been on the site for a while. How are you doing with the fruit trees? Surviving? I am going to take a leaf out of your book and run a watering system to my fruit trees before I plant them this time. It's just too hot to be digging trenches now so will have to wait a little while. I may buy some fruit trees when I see them at a reasonable price and do as you have done - pot them on.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Ray, I have been super busy (good busy some of it) and not been on the site for a while. How are you doing with the fruit trees? Surviving? I am going to take a leaf out of your book and run a watering system to my fruit trees before I plant them this time. It's just too hot to be digging trenches now so will have to wait a little while. I may buy some fruit trees when I see them at a reasonable price and do as you have done - pot them on.
Hey Mate
good to see, this year its been nuts for us, Mum has not been well and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's which is not what we wanted to hear, so in the middle of moving her up here.
You dont need to dig trenches for the irrigation if you dont want to, mine arent :)
Basically I run the line where I wanted it and then just covered it with Mulch works a treat, everytime I mulch it just gets deeper and deeper, when I want to run a new tree in, I dig my hole and run a line to it and or add another sprinkler and away we go. I have added 2 taps to the system so i can feed the animals and fill buckets etc.
The potted tree's are going gang busters and will plant those when it cools down alittle :)
need anything give me a yell :)

Reactions: DTK

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am thinking I might put the trees in the front "lawn" (really being very nice to it...more like grass cut low). So my plan was to space the out on the lawn and run water to them. I thought I might bury 90mm (maybe a little smaller) PVC pipe vertically next to the tree so I can run dripper into the pipe and get the water down low. I do like your idea of running above ground and mulching but will inhibit mowing I guess. All good. I know you have a video on here with footage of your system. I will find that and take another look.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mate, sorry to read re mum's health. One of the reasons I have been busy is because my mum (92yo old) is in a higher level of care and my brother is in care elsewhere (both in Sydney) so I have been catching the train down to and back from Sydney about monthly. My brother has onset of Alzheimer's to add to his other issues (currently in hospital for other complications). So, I empathise re your mum. It seems a good thing that you have her so close!

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
makes sense if you are doing it in the front lawn, my fruit tree's run down the side of the property so no mowing and then in and around the paddocks so once again no mowing,
I will try in the next few days to do a quick little update so you can have a good look at it :)

Reactions: DTK
Top Bottom