Sub-Tropical
DA42D759-7DBF-4462-A082-809BD181A89F.jpeg

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good question as I was thinking something similar come May when temps dips....I was thinking of just planting cloves I pull from the store bought bulbs but would also like to hear what the experienced garlic growers on this forum do.

Flamin'....have a look see at https://www.gardenate.com/

Select the fruit / veg and click through for info on planting etc.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Most bulbs will sprout but if it's not the right variety it may fail eventually.
Italian pink and glenlarge are suited to the tropics.
All imported fruit and veg have been irradiated so will not grow.
March April are the best time to sew in the tropics once worst of the rain is past.

If you want veg to grow off the shelf buy from the organic supermarket, such as seeds, veg cuttings, herbs, etc. I've bought sesame seed, chia seed, garlic, sweet potatoes, shallots, pumpkin, tomatoes, pawpaw, unhulled sunflower seed, ginger, herbs, etc for my garden.

Flamin' Mongrel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good question as I was thinking something similar come May when temps dips....I was thinking of just planting cloves I pull from the store bought bulbs but would also like to hear what the experienced garlic growers on this forum do.

Flamin'....have a look see at gardenate

Just didn't want to waste it...I'll eat it instead! Then I'll buy some seed stock for ready for sowing on the shortest day of the year!

As for the website...I already downloaded the app (Paid!) - I like it!

Flamin' Mongrel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Most bulbs will sprout but if it's not the right variety it may fail eventually.
Italian pink and glenlarge are suited to the tropics.
All imported fruit and veg have been irradiated so will not grow.
March April are the best time to sew in the tropics once worst of the rain is past.

If you want veg to grow off the shelf buy from the organic supermarket, such as seeds, veg cuttings, herbs, etc. I've bought sesame seed, chia seed, garlic, sweet potatoes, shallots, pumpkin, tomatoes, pawpaw, unhulled sunflower seed, ginger, herbs, etc for my garden.

I'd rather aim for not failing I guess!
My other hobby, BBQ, has a saying (which I'm sure relates to lots of things), Quality In = Quality Out....
I'll look to my seed supplier to ask for some garlic and increase my chances!

Thanks

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Often if you buy locally grown, then that variety will work at your place too.

But of course with supermarket produce it could have been grown anywhere in the world.

However, supermarkets like IGA or your local organic market will try to buy locally grown before choosing produce from far away.
Although IGA is starting to also source produce from far away as they attempt to keep up with the big 2 and have fresh food that always looks identical all year.

Flamin' Mongrel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Cheers ClissAT - I have a seed company I like here on the Gold Coast - Its up at Springbrook, so i might try them rther than trying (and hoping) the garlic bulbs from the supermarket

Top Bottom